Permanent Link: http://arks.princeton.edu/ark:/88435/vq27zn490
Ms. Bible. John Purvey's version of Wycliffe's translation. Includes Gilbertus Porretanus's prologue to Revelations (fol. 399r).
- Bible. English (Middle)
- Gilbert, de La Porrée, Bishop, ca. 1075-1154
- Purvey, John, 1353?-1428?
- Wycliffe, John, d. 1384
- 409 leaves : parchment ; 290 x 200 mm.
- -[ca. 1410]
- fols. 1-17v: Prologue to Bible.
- fols. 17v-22v: Table of Lessons.
- fols. 24r-325v: O.T. (Genesis to Maccabees).
- fols. 325v-404v: N.T. (Matthew to Revelation).
- fols. 403r-404v: Genealogical notes (Mery and Bowyer genealogies).
- Ms. codex.
- Decoration: Penwork initial.
- Origin: Written in England in the early 15th century.
- Belonged (temp. Edw. IV) to Richard Mery, of Hatfield, whose granddaughter married Thomas Bowyer, of the Middle Temple (ca. 1588); passed to Sir John Morley, of Halnaker (Halvenaked); given (before 1723) by Countess of Derby to the wife of T. Palmer, and passed to his son-in-law, Sir Hugh Acland; belonged in 1850 to Sir Peregrine Acland; obtained from B. Quaritch by John H. Scheide in 1931.
- Holy Bible / edited by Josiah Forshall and Frederic Madden. Oxford : University Press, 1850, no. 154.
- English, Middle (1100-1500)
- Manuscripts-England-15th century.
- Morocco bindings (Binding)-18th century.
- Princeton University Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. William H. Scheide Library. Scheide M12
- Open for research.