This side of paradise
F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise, autograph manuscripts and corrected typescripts (1917-1919). Fitzgerald began writing This Side of Paradise at Princeton, continued in November 1917 at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, with the working title "The Romantic Egoist," and completed a first draft of the novel at Cottage Club in March 1918. After this draft had been twice rejected by the New York publisher Charles Scribner's Sons, Fitzgerald returned to his parents' home at 599 Summit Avenue in his native St. Paul, Minnesota, and added five new chapters to the four he had written the previous year. He changed the second title of the novel from "The Education of a Personage" to "This Side of Paradise" and sent the novel to Maxwell Perkins at Scribner's. The publisher accepted the novel on September 16, 1919, and published it on March 26, 1920. The author's corrected galleys and page proofs do not survive. F. Scott Fitzgerald, "The Romantic Egotist," chapters 1, 2, 5, 12, and 14. Fitzgerald corrected the five chapters in this early typescript version and sent them to Charles W. Donahoe in October 1918. Donahoe donated the typescript to Princeton in 1948. .
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott (Francis Scott), 1896-1940
- 224 typescript pages
- Typed manuscript.
- Princeton University Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. C0187
- Not to be published, reproduced, or broadcast without the written permission of the Princeton University Library. Selected items in the F. Scott Fitzgerald Papers can be photoduplicated at the expense of the researcher requesting photoduplication. Advanced estimates and payment are required. For general information on photoduplication and permissions, go to http://www.princeton.edu/~rbsc Requests to to reproduce, publish, or broadcast material from the F. Scott Fitzgerald Papers should be addressed Public Services staff, firstname.lastname@example.org The correct form of citation includes the name of the collection, box and folder numbers, and an indication that the originals are in the "Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library." The manuscript of The Great Gatsby and other writings of F. Scott Fitzgerald are not to be quoted, published, reproduced, or broadcast without the written permission of the Princeton University Library as owner of the physical object, and of the Fitzgerald Literary Trust (copyright holder), c/o Harold Ober Associates, 425 Madison Avenue, New York, New York 10017 (Telephone: 212-759-8600; FAX: 212-759-9428). The Library is not responsible for copyright infringement or other legal problems resulting from unauthorized publication of the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
- For legal and conservation reasons, access to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s original manuscripts (including corrected galleys and scrapbooks) is strictly restricted. Scottie Fitzgerald Lanahan, daughter of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Fitzgerald, donated the Fitzgerald Papers to the Princeton University Library in 1950, stipulating that surrogates of the original manuscripts were to be made available to researchers instead of the originals. This was done to preserve the originals, which are not on good paper. Originally, the surrogates were in the form of microfilm. Facsimiles editions of This Side of Paradise and other manuscripts of books and short stories followed a multi-volume series: F. Scott Fitzgerald Manuscripts, edited by Matthew J. Bruccoli and Alan Margolies (New York: Garland Publishing Company, 1990). Complete sets of the facsimile edition are available at more than 50 research libraries (including Firestone Library).
- F. Scott Fitzgerald papers, 1897-1944