Homilies of the Archangel Michael and Associated Texts
Manuscript on paper containing the Homilies of the Archangel. Parchment. 101 folios, 2 columns, 19 lines. 23 paintings. Wooden boards covered with stamped leather. Fols. 18v, 19v, 35v, 51r, 58v, 63v, 77r, 84v, 85r, 90r, 95r blank.
- 1 v. 2 8.5 x 25 cm
- Paintings: [God the Father as the Ancient of Days] fol. 10r., [St. Michael subduing the devil] fol. 10v., [St. Michael bringing souls out of hell] fol. 11r., [St. Michael leading souls into paradise] fol. 11v., [top] Dorātyos selling his wife's garment in exchange for a sheep, and [bottom] St. Michael appears to Dorātyos in the guise of a nobleman fol. 18r., [top] Dorātyos bringing the sheep and a fish to St. Michael, and [bottom] Dorātyos holding a feast on St. Michael's day fol. 19r., Talāfinos's mother gleaning in the nobleman's field fol. 28v., [top] Talāfinos's mother giving her infant to the nobleman, and [bottom] the nobleman giving her a letter announcing that her child is dead after he placed it in a chest in the sea fol. 29r., [top] of St. Michael addressing her and her reading the letter, and [bottom] of her grinding corn outside the church which she had had built for St. Michael fol. 29v.
- [top] of the poor man praying to St. Michael, and [bottom] throwing a chest into the sea containing the gold he owed his creditor fol. 35r., [top] of the creditor cutting open the fish and finding the chest, and [bottom] the two men meeting and discussing the miracle fol. 36r., Qison asleep outside the church and then asking for hymns to be sung on St. Michael's day fol. 50v., [top] of the bishop baptizing Qison and his family, and [bottom] their departure by sea fol. 51v., [top] of Moses asking Pharaoh to release his people, and [bottom] St. Michael showing the Israelites the way across the Red Sea fol. 58r., Pharaoh's army drowning in the Red Sea fol. 59r., John Chrysostom telling Eudoxia the wife of Emperor Arcadius not to take communion fol. 63r.
- Eudoxia's messengers finding John Chrysostom fol. 64r., [top] Satan tempting Afomyā and her praying to St. Michael, and [bottom] St. Michael transfixing Satan fol. 77v., [top] Talāson and the rich man bargaining for the sale of the sheep, and the shepherd finding the sheep in a sack in the sea, and [bottom] his encounter with St. Michael who exchanges the letter of death for a letter of life, and his wife holds a wedding feast fol. 84r., [top] the prophet Daniel questioning the elders and saving Susannah, and [bottom] St. Michael cleaving in two the elders fol. 89v., St. Michael hanging Satan in the church fol. 90v., The blind man praying to St. Michael in the church fol.94v., [top] God sending the Angel of Death to the idolater, and [bottom] the Angel of Death retrieving his soul from the chest in which he had been thrown into the sea fol. 95v.
- Gift; Robert Garrett (Class of 1897), 1942.
- Formerly owned by Sars'a Dengel and his wife Walatta P'ēt'ros.
- Illuminated manuscripts-Ethiopia-18th century.
- Princeton University Library. Rare Books: South East (MSS). Garrett Ethiopic MS. 2