Liturgical texts in Latin. Garrett MS. 43 is a Benedictional probably dating from the second quarter of the 11th century. Written by two scribes in Late Carolingian minuscule. Many scholars have argued that the manuscript was produced at Lorsch Abbey (Reichabtei Lorsch), based on paleography or illumination in connection with the Udralicus Peccator group (London, British Library, Harley MS. 2970, and Munich, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, MS. Clm. 23630) centered in Lorsch. But others have suggested Mainz as the possible place of origin. Later it may have been in Speyer, Johanneskirche. For full description, see Don C. Skemer, Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the Princeton University Library (Princeton: Department of Art and Archeology and Princeton University Library, is association with Princeton University Press, 2013), vol. 1, pp. 66-68; Biblioteca Laureshamensis; Virtual Monastic Library of Lorsch, http://www.bibliotheca-laureshamensis-digital.de/.
- Benedictional (Princeton University Library. Garrett MS. 43)
- Catholic Church
- Garrett, Robert, 1875-1961
- 99 leaves : parchment ; 215 x 155 mm. (145 x 90 mm.)
- fols. 1v-55r Benedictions for the Temporale. For use throughout the liturgical year from the 1st Sunday of Advent to the 25th Sunday after Pentecost.
- fols. 55r-70v Benedictions for the Sanctorale.
- fols. 70v-77v Benedictions for the Common of Saints.
- fols. 77v-80r Benedictions for Church Dedications.
- fols. 80r-99r Benedictions for Votive masses.
- Ms. codex.
- Garrett MS. 43, Manuscripts Division, Department of Rare Books and Special Collections, Princeton University Library.
- Gift of: Robert Garrett (1875-1961), Class of 1897. He purchased the manuscript in 1924 from the Leipzig bookseller Karl W. Hiersemann, and donated it to the Princeton University Library in 1941.
- Catholic Church‒Liturgy‒Texts
- Kloster Lorsch‒Manuscripts
- Mainz (Germany)‒Manuscripts
- Speyer (Germany)‒Manuscripts
- Lorsch (Germany)‒Church history
- Manuscripts, Germany-11th-century.
- Princeton University Library. Department of Rare Books and Special Collections. Manuscripts Division. Princeton, New Jersey 08544 USA. Garrett MS. 43